» Enterprise IT Planet
Green IT News: the Green Data Center
By Terrance Lau
February 3, 2011
- THE world's largest carrier-neutral data centre company, Equinix Inc, will use recycled Newater to cool the new 'green' data centre (DC) that it is building in Singapore. As reported earlier, the company is investing US$43 million in the facility that will see the addition of 850 new cabinet equivalents when ready by June 2011. 'Apart from using chilled water to cool the DC itself, we will be using energy-saving blue LED lights all across the DC, as well as motion sensors to control the lighting automatically,' Clement Goh, managing director of Equinix Singapore, told BizIT in an interview.
- International managed hosting provider Peer 1 Hosting has begun build out on a 50,000 square foot green data centre in Portsmouth, UK. The Portsmouth data centre will incorporate a POD design. The first of four POD stages is scheduled for completion in early summer this year, at an initial cost of GBP 10 million. The remaining stages will be dedicated to additional data centre space and infrastructure which will be built out in three future phases, based upon customer demand and market conditions.
- TELADATA, a leading consulting firm specializing in IT infrastructure design, planning and project management, announces that its 2011 Technology Convergence Conference will feature a panel discussion, titled East Meets West, on data center efficiency. During the discussion, panel members from East Coast financial firms and West Cost Technology companies will engage in spirited discussion of their companies' respective methodologies for maximizing the efficiency of legacy and newly designed data centers. The panel will be moderated by Derek Schwartz of the Green Data Center Alliance and will feature participants from some of the top technology and financial services firms, including Doug Alger, IT Architect at Cisco Systems, William Udall, Vice President of Energy Efficiency in Data Centers at JP Morgan Chase, and David Shroyer, Controls Engineer at NetApp.
- Mehak Chawla examines the first Gold rated LEED data center in India and the savings that green hosting can bring about for an enterprise.
- Digital Realty Trust, Inc., a global wholesale datacenter provider, announces leasing results for the fourth quarter and year-end 2010.
- The Company signed leases during the quarter ended December 31, 2010 totaling approximately 478,000 square feet of space. This includes over 89,000 square feet of Turn-Key Datacenter space leased at an average annual GAAP rental rate of $184.00 per square foot, approximately 234,000 square feet of Powered Base Building space leased at an average annual GAAP rental rate of $39.00 per square foot, and approximately 155,000 square feet of non-technical space leased at an average annual GAAP rental rate of $20.00 per square foot. Each Powered Base Building is designed to meet the two leading green building standards, LEED in the U.S. and BREEAM in Europe.
- Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson, and the global leader in enabling Business-Critical Continuity, introduces Liebert APM, the new proven and tested uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to optimize the flexible management of IT infrastructures. With a minimum footprint and a modular concept, which avoids any impact on the infrastructure by cutting operating and maintenance costs, the Liebert APM, available globally, guarantees the best ROI for data centers in small and medium companies. Liebert APM was designed selecting latest-generation power components and improving the topology of conversion circuits, in order to optimize its operation for maximum efficiency. That's why Liebert APM offers energy efficiency consistently above 95 percent for power loads between 30 percent and 100 percent.
- Platform Computing, the leading independent cloud management software provider, announces the general availability of Platform ISF 2.1, a new release of its modular software for building and managing enterprise private clouds. Platform ISF's unique application-centric approach enables customers to support multi-tier applications in addition to provisioning infrastructure (IaaS) and platform (middleware) as services. Customers benefit with a solution that can support the entire application lifecycle from dev/test to production-ready application clouds in as quickly as 30 days.
- The Green Grid Association, the industry's leading voice for advancing energy efficiency in data centers and business computing ecosystems, announces that the organization is expanding its focus and deliverables to address growing industry trends towards the sustainability and resource efficiency of information technology.
- Uptime Institute's sixth annual Symposium will bring together thought leaders, innovators and practitioners in the data center industry to discuss the latest trends, including how to anticipate and respond to disruptive changes such as cloud computing, volatile demand, and rapidly evolving modular architectures. Attendees will gain strategic and practical insights from the content-rich agenda and the unique opportunity to attend one-on-one sessions with experts from the Institute and analysts from the Institute's parent company, The 451 Group, and its subsidiary, Tier1 Research. The 2011 Symposium, attended by industry professionals from over 40 countries, will take place on May 9-12, 2011 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
- VYCON, a designer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly, high-speed energy storage flywheel systems, praises President Obama for his vision and goal to vastly increase the adoption of renewable energy and alternative energy technologies in the U.S., creating more jobs and lessening dependence on foreign oil. As President Obama discussed in the State of the Union address on January 25, 2011, Congress has provided funding and extended significant tax credits which have helped to create green jobs and integrate green energy technologies across the nation. To this end, VYCON has added 15 new jobs with more planned in the coming year.
Enterprise IT Planet Archives